When you first start Pidgin, click the Add… button to add an account.
(1) In the tab Basic, set these values:
- Protocol: XMPP
- Username: your Riseup username
- Domain: riseup.net
- Password: your Riseup Passwords
Optionally, set the local alias as your name, optionally choose an icon for yourself. Other people will see this in their buddy list and when you message with them.
See the Off-the-Record Messaging tutorial for details on using end-to-end encryption with Pidgin.
Securing pidgin on GNU/Linux with AppArmor
For added security on Linux systems, we recommend you secure your pidgin following these steps:
- copy usr.bin.pidgin to
- restart apparmor
sudo /etc/init.d/apparmor restart
- restart pidgin
For configuring Pidgin to use Tor, you need to modify your account settings as follows:
First chose Modify Account Settings…
Then click the Advanced tab and set these values:
- Connection Security: Require encryption
- Connect Port: 5222
- Connect Server: at Riseups list of .onion services look for
- File Transfer Proxies: proxy.riseup.net
Then click on the Proxy tab…
Set the proxy type as
Socks5, set the host and port as shown in the image, and set your username and password.